Saturday, February 25, 2012

Naive Avengersthon - 36. Don't Look Behind You

We open with an unseen figure cutting up a photo of Cathy's face. This isn't going to end well... especially when she's invited to stay in a big house on the edge of Exmoor.

It's a highly suspenseful and creepy episode - the best in these respects since Mr Teddy Bear I thought - but it suffers from having two incredibly annoying grotesques as supporting characters. They take up about 10 minutes each with their ramblings, and they turned all my tension into irritation. 'Get - on - with it.'

When the villain Goodman (Maurice 'Phineas Clanton' Good) finally appears, his resemblance to Swiss Toni detracts from the admittedly sinister impression created by his manner, but I suppose I can't blame the production for that.

On the plus side, there's some location filming (welcome as always) with Steed driving Cathy down to Exmoor in his new car. The happy mood and outdoor scenes make the gloom and claustrophobia of Goodman's house more effective by contrast.

If this episode hadn't caused me so much annoyance, I'd rate it highly.

No comments:

Post a Comment